When Joe Bucher, a Swiss immigrant, purchased 360 acres just outside of Healdsburg in 1958, wine grapes were not on his mind. Joe was a dairy farmer and the serene gently rolling hills of Westside Road were perfect for his 50 milking cows.
Today, second generation John Bucher, in addition to running the family’s organic milk farm, has turned a portion of their farm into one of the Russian River Valley’s premium vineyards.
First planted in 1997 there are now 15 blocks covering 40 acres. We work with two of those blocks, the Tory’s Block, and the North L. Throughout the vineyard soils are a mix of Laughlin and Josephine loams. Both are well draining and have rapid runoff.
Tory’s Block provides the grapes for our single vineyard pinot. The Pommard Clones was planted there in 1999. The warm Middle Reach neighborhood of the Russian River Valley provides excellent fruit development and is characterized by high toned aromas such as rose petal and white raspberry, along with the traditional Russian River flavors of cherry, cola, and chocolate.